Friday 23 March 2012

Are you undergoing PMS?

One of the irony of my life has been that studying in a all girls college in Delhi University for my under grads, grads and now my PhD makes people believe that I am a feminist. The difficulty is that people didn't see that I was one before I entered college and that coming in this college made me more sober in terms of my feminism. In my second years when I was studying a course in Women Studies and Concerns, I realized that Feminism wont help this nation achieve anything in terms of women's rights. If Gender equality has to be achieved, what this nation needs is more of a gender-ed approach rather than pro-women!

Well, why am I telling you these things? The story goes like this.. Over the past few years, months and weeks I have come across some very funny people who love tagging any irrational (for them) behaviour that a woman shows as her biological imbalance phase. To speak of it openly, PMS is a national debate now. Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS) as we all have believed over the years has affected many women in various ways. Its just that a week before her menstrual cycle ends, she undergoes strong emotional changes, becomes cranky and if old traditional books are to be believed, turns into a witch!! (REALLY??)

I think, our cultures have been all over the world propagating this idea since centuries and after science proved that hormonal changes do impact her, it has been a label that has many women even more cranky. I for instance, have over the years believed that I not only undergo Pre syndrome but also Post! And even as many men out there haven't told me or questioned me if I am undergoing PMS, I know that has been in their minds as they saw me being angry or irritated. I, now believe its more of a psychological things rather than hormonal. This conclusion of myn comes from the fact that I have spent many so-called- PMS-weeks without any emotional drama attached to them!

Lately, while reading a novel called "Can Love Happen Twice", I came across a similar instance where the author describes this phase of his girl friend's life in a very interesting yet comical manner. Initially for me it was really funny but then a thought came across my mind. While he described it to be a phase where every boyfriend turns more of a pet (if he really loves her! HAHA).. where he needs safety measures of she will go crazy and things will mess up.. I understood the interesting thing that goes inside the male mind as they tend to ignore what a woman feels or says or rationally explains too in this phase by tagging a week of her month as some stupid PMS time..Do you really think that all a woman or girl speaks or does during this phase, is irrational???

A sudden thinking process in the evening of my funny little brain brought out a new definition of PMS to me.. I have after few hours and days of thinking and analyzing male behavior patterns come down to the conclusion that HELLO!! Its not just we who suffer from PMS, you do too... for men, as I should define, this PMS can be elaborated as Permanent Masculinity Syndrome! While we women at one side turn cranky and irrational just one week a month (as described by men and stupid biology scientists), men on the other side suffer from loads of ego that is an impact of them realizing their masculinity! In India, PMS (for men) is even more stronger. And I am not kidding as am sure many women will agree with my theory! You find men getting irritated if don't do what they want you to do, if you explain your diversions from typically tagged women-behavior, if you rebel and if you divert from any society-termed-appropriate behavior.

Well well.. In today's scenario, most women rebel, most women divert from typical behavior patterns and say NO to what they want their approval on. In such a situation, men get cranky, irritated, irrational (for us) and become (if my theory is to be agreed on) a monster!! So.. if you agree with the theory, have men around in whom you do see this behavior (not once a month but anytime, anywhere, anyhow).. then the next time a man asks you "Are you undergoing PMS?", just answer with a smile, and nod that "Yes, I am... and so are you..while myn will be fine in few days, you my friend are in trouble coz your PMS is for lifetime..may you recover soon!"

(If my friends are to be believed I am a feminist..but if you agree that we need gender equal tagging as well.. you agree with me..and you agree that I am a simple human being who wants men and women to have equal status.. if we are witches once a month, you are a monster whole of your life honey!... )

1 comment: